Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BEWARE: Rambling to follow & you may enjoy it.

I had my 5 year high school reunion the other day and was asked if my blog mainly consisted of pictures of my kids. I proudly answered "Yes!" even though it seemed to make my good old friend roll his eyes. I love my kids and if a person is going to post about what is going on in their life and what they are passionate about I am going to post about my kids. Some may find me simple minded and closed in with nothing to stimulate my mind or senses (I do not believe my friend thought this of me) but I am here to tell you I am neither of those things. I just happen to be a part of a small percentage of the world's population that finds my calling in life to spend my time at home with my children- teaching them and learning life's lessons from them, simple yet meaningful, while trying to develop my talents and interests. It is not coincidence that my talents and interest circle closely around my home. From a young age I knew it was where I wanted and needed to be when I "grew up." I may be misunderstood but I am truly happy and gaining more wisdom and perspective every day.

One interesting (or really uninteresting) thing happened to me last night. We are in a new ward now and I have been anxiously awaiting a new calling. For the last 4 years I have been serving in the Primary and was feeling a little burned out. I hoped and hoped my responsibilities would "grow up" a little and I might be able to work with anyone over elementary school age. Turns out Heavenly Father has been aware of my feelings... I have grown right up and will now be working in Relief Society for a change. How WEIRD!
Before I sat down to share with all of you I was thinking about what I have done in the last 24 hours. It surprised me when I realized I have learned so much and been truly touched by so many and I barely left my home and my babies. Marshall and I got our flu shots this morning (my arm is dead now...) and while I was in the doctor's office I watched multiple elderly couples sitting together or walking hand in hand with beautiful smiles on their faces. I was reminded how much I wanted to be like the one old lady who smiled from ear to ear, sharing all that joy with everyone around her. Or like the one who walked with her husband, having been devoted to each other for too many years to count, who she undoubtedly spends many hours a day with now that they are both retired.

In the last day I have also heard many sad stories of tragedies within families that break my heart. Some were health related and others revolved around money and dishonesty. I come from a "broken" family and have resolved to do all I can to keep MY family in tact as best I can. My heart goes out to the young children out there who can't quite understand why they are in the middle of these trials and I pray that they can grow up well adjusted and hopefully be able to understand that the choices of others may affect them but they do not define them. Luckily I was mature beyond my years and was able to see the good that came from my broken family. When it comes to the struggles of health, I am saddened by the way the human body can have such trouble through no fault of of its owner. When I hear of people who have abused their bodies, take smoking for example, and end up with lung cancer, I sympathize but my heart does not break for them. But what about those who have ailments take them by surprise and change their lives or those whose bodies do not heal as it seems they should and begins to slowly degrade their quality of life. I have shed tears and offered prayers for multiple people I barely know in the last 24 hours and am equally uplifted by their positive attitudes and courageous examples. I am so grateful for my good health and the good health of most all of my loved ones.

My aching arm is so trivial... I will be better for it. I am grateful that Marshall trusted me when I told him that even though it hurt when he got his shot it would help him to not get sick. I wasn't sure he understood me until we were walking out of the doctor's office and he informed anyone that was listening that "I not get sick now." How can I not totally submerge myself in the joy that my children bring me day to day, hour to hour.

I could list so many more blessings but I want to share just one last thing I am so grateful for. I was able to do the bills just barely; uninterrupted, without ignoring my kids, without it being the middle of the night. Both of my little buddies are peacefully sleeping... at the same time! So many blessings surround me.

I may not be the most educated or sophisticated but I AM one of the most looked after by my Heavenly Father. That is for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment